8 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Compression Springs
What is a compression spring?Compression spring is the most commonly used spring and metal spring configurations. It is an open-coil helical spring made up of helically formed coils with pitch in between used to push back on an applied force or load in order to return to its original position when the force or load is released.
Wire spring compression has superior compression spring strength and it is that offers resistance to a compressive force applied axially. They can hold mechanical energy when these springs are subjected to compression loads, they compress and get shorter, thus capturing and storing a large amount of potential force. Generally, they are used on a pole or mounted in a hole.
If you want to use compression springs for specific applications, you should learn more about them so that you can properly inform your choice before manufacturing them. In this compression spring guide, we will help steer you in the right direction and help you in making a purchase decision that will drive your business to new heights.
● To consider the specifications you’re going to need when manufacturing your compression springs, you’ll need to consider the wire diameter, outer diameter, inner diameter, solid height, and free length that you’ll need for your specific application. The free length is described as the spring’s overall length in the unloaded position, while solid height refers to the length of the spring under sufficient load that brings all of its coils into contact.
What is the compression spring specification
● You’ll also need to know which compression spring strength, spring rate, or stiffness, you’re going to need. This is the change in load per unit deflection in Newtons per millimeter or in pounds per inch. These dimensions and the load/deflect requirements will determine the stresses of the compression springs. Getting these stresses calculated properly is vital to the optimal performance of your springs. The design must be calculated based on your specific application in order for your springs to work correctly.
● Their wire size can range widely in diameter and they can be manufactured in many shapes with many different types of ends to fit a wide range of applications. Their shapes can vary from the common cylindrical shape to hourglass (concave), barrel (convex), and conical. The common straight metal coil spring has the same diameter for its entire length.
● Key compression spring specifications determines the compression spring quality include the spring rate, helix type, spring ends type, wire diameter, material, the various diameters, and free length under increasing load, the space between coils closes until the spring's compressed length is reached, when the coils touch.
What is the working principle of compression spring?
These open-coil helical springs offer resistance through compression. Once they are compressed along the axis of wind, the linear force they exert increases the further they are compressed. They push back against the load being applied to them while trying to get back to their original length.
You might also find torsional compression springs which fulfill two functions by exerting a vertical force as well as a rotational force.
What is the opposite of a compression spring?Compression spring and tension spring isn’t the same. The main difference is that tension springs are designed to hold two objects together through push the structural member to increase its length, while compression springs are designed to prevent components from joining together through increasing its length under the action of external force.
Thus extension springs are intended for use when two components try and pull away from each other. In comparison, compression springs are intended for use when two components try and push towards each other. Although they are opposite to each other, they are all necessary for different products.
What are compression springs used for?Compression springs are designed to operate with a compressive load and compression spring is used in a wide variety of applications. From pens, valves and vehicles to medical devices, cell phones, and electronics, they are integral in the performance of many products in just about every industry.
Xulong spring is helical compression spring manufacturer in China and we have manufactured them for clients in the filed of military, automotive, outdoor equipment,agriculture,power and gas etc.
Can a spring constant be negative?The spring constant is always positive, not negative. The minus sign in Hooke's law indicates that the direction of the applied force is opposite to the direction of the restoring force.
Hooke's law is a law of physics that states that the force (F) needed to extend or compress a spring by some distance (x) scales linearly with respect to that distance—that is, Fs = kx, where k is a constant factor characteristic of the spring (i.e., its stiffness), and x is small compared to the total possible deformation of the spring.
Does the spring constant have a unit?
The units for the spring constant, k, are Newtons per meter (N/m).
How to customize your compression springs?
You may find it hard to select non-custom springs that are right for your application because each compression spring has a different function depending on the application，thus compression spring design calculator is essential for the design of compression springs. This is why custom compression springs always perform better and last longer than the mass-produced, non-custom counterparts.
What goes into designing a custom compression spring? There are several key compression spring information that must be taken into consideration.
● Maximum solid: the height of the spring when all the coils are touching and no more load can be applied to the spring.
● Type of wire: this will depend on the load applied to the spring and various environmental factors.
● Wire diameter and coil diameter: these determine the spring constant.
● Wire shape: round or rectangular.
● Number of coils: find out more about choosing the right number of coils here.
● Wind direction: whether left or right springs you need
● Free length: the length of the spring when no force or load are being applied to it.
● Spring end type: open or closed ends.
Why Choose Us
XULONG SPRING is one of the compression spring manufacturers in China and a professional steel spring manufacturer of customized springs and wire forms, we have been digging in spring field since 1979,thanks to all our skilled staffs’ hard working,now we are the the largest spring factory in Foshan city, Guangdong provice. With over 40 years of experience in spring field, we are confident that our colleagues of technical department can be of help to design your unique springs.
We provide design assistance and our technical department utilize CAD to make drawings of springs. We can calculate the exact configurations you’ll need and walk you through the different material, shape, end, and size options that will work best for your intended application.